Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm not a tree hugger, but...

...we decided to cloth diaper Evan. I never thought I'd be doing this, but after trialing them and lots of research, we decided to give it a go (we still plan to use "sposies" when traveling or when Evan has diarrhea...gross, I know). When people think of cloth diapering, they think of the old-fashioned white cloth diapers that you have to fold up and fasten with pins. Well, things have changed (thank goodness!). We're using the bumGenius 3.0s, a one-size pocket diaper that "grows" with Evan as he grows...good up until about 35 pounds. The "pockets" are stuffed with 1 or 2 inserts that absorb his pee. The diaper is fastened by a velcro material. Cleaning them is a breeze too!

Top reasons for the switch to cloth:
1. Economical
2. More gentle on Evan's sensitive butt
3. Can be used for our next baby
4. They are too darn cute
5. Better for the environment
6. Fewer "blow-outs", if any



2 comments:

Rob & Lindsey said...

i am starting to like that idea more and more. you'll have to let me know how it goes so when I have a little one I'll know if it is worth it:)

schlatter0225 said...

I think your reasoning is perfectly reasonable! Good Luck with it!